Designregio Kortrijk is looking for 3 highly motivated and recently graduated designer-makers or creative artists to join in a regional residency programme in Kortrijk, Belgium.
The Designers in Residence Programme Kortrijk is a 4-month full time working residency from September to December 2017.
Website: Designregio Kortrijk
Location: applications open to designers/artists worldwide
Experience: Designers must have graduated within the last 3 years
How: Complete Designers in Residence Kortrijk 2017 online application form
Deadline to apply: 09.00 CET June 01 2017. Applications received after this deadline will not be accepted.
Designregio Kortrijk provides for the selected Designers in Residence Kortrijk:
- usage of Budalab Open Makerspace
- experts in several domains and support of Designregio Kortrijk
When is the Designers in Residence programme? September to December 2017
Enabling liquid boundaries by social design
Boundaries in society blur.
Libraries act as social meeting places, social restaurants also accommodate childcare, young startups and concert halls are cohousing, culture and scientific research reinforce each other, etc.
The permanent state of societal transformations leads to a society with liquid boundaries.
Designregio Kortrijk invites 3 young designers to develop an experimental concept for those liquid boundaries by social design, exploring social transformation through confrontation between citizens, society, entrepreneurs and education in regions such as Kortrijk.
The compactness of this region is both a benefit and a challenge.
The profile of the designers must correspond to the following criteria:
- recently graduated (minimum level: master)
- team player
- manual skills (conceptual, handy, production, fabrication)
- affinity with social design
- an international outlook
THE OUTCOME OF THE RESIDENCY:
- Create an experimental project that enables societal transformation through confrontations between citizens, society, entrepreneurs and education in Kortrijk. The residency consists of research, process, experiment and making. Therefore, the designers are assisted with several design experts.
- As part of your research, during the residency, you will get into a dialogue with several regional projects from an international perspective as design experts:
- you will challenge and influence,
- you will connect people and places,
- you will gather and disseminate.
Some specific projects are:
- WOW Kortrijk interdisciplinary students solve local issues by social design
- Social projects in the city of Kortrijk
- Living labs on collective spaces in the Kortrijk region
- BRYO Young entrepreneurs looking for inspiring business opportunities
- During WO17 – We are the next generation from 18 to 22 October 2017 the Designers in Residence Kortrijk will be offered a unique opportunity to show their research and on-going progress to a large design minded audience. See 2015’s edition
CONTEXT – ABOUT THE RESIDENCY & KORTRIJK
Designregio Kortrijk will be your host. Our organisation is the platform for creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship for the Kortrijk region. We organize projects that encourage creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship, inspire with good practices and connect companies, designers, education and government.
We are a joint venture of 5 regional organisations, with whom you will work closely together. This will allow you as a designer to connect with the local community (city of Kortrijk), local producers and maker industry (Voka West-Flanders & Interieur Foundation), urban planners and developers (Leiedal) and innovative education (Howest).
At the same time, the Buda Island is the focal point for a fascinating community of creative individuals, companies, cultural organizations, creative teaching as well as end-users. The aim is to connect with the local maker industry, largely embedded in the region and local producers in a contemporary way.
– The Kortrijk region (Belgium) is a strong player in the economically blooming largest European inter-regional Eurometropolis and can be exemplified by large companies such as Barco, Bekaert, Unilin, Vandewiele, as well as a large number of family owned SME’s with an international outlook such as Skyline, Delta Light, Renson, Casalis, Obumex, Curana and many more.
– University College HOWEST & their Industrial Design Center is an open knowledge center and a communication platform between the industry and the education, research and development programs of the Howest and Ghent University in Kortrijk. Digital Arts & Entertainment and Devine – Digital Design and Development are, amongst others, two of their state of the art education programs.