The Spanish and German Halls at Prague Castle in the 19th Century
Created: 18. 2. 2020 from Vysoká škola uměleckoprůmyslová v Praze

Title: The Spanish and German Halls at Prague Castle in the 19th Century
Subtitle:
Original title: Španělský a Německý sál na Pražském hradě v 19. století

Original subtitle:
Book language: Czech-English bilingual edition
Author: Jindřich Vybíral
Designed by: Štěpán Malovec
Publisher: UMPRUM / National Heritage Institute
ISBN: 978-80-87989-84-5
Selling price: 700 CZK
Binding: hardcover
Number of pages: 200
Number of illustrations:
 128
Annotation: The Spanish and German Halls (the current Rudolph Gallery) located in the northern wing of the Prague Castle were commissioned by the emperor and king Rudolph II on the turn of the 16th and 17th centuries. Both halls were refurbished in 1866–1868 based on the design by renown Viennese architects   Ferdinand Kirschner and Heinrich Ferstel, which maintained part of the plaster decorations of the Rudolphean era. This book follows the course of the construction work, provides detailed information on the authors of the architectural design and other persons involved in the refurbishment, and identifies the premises that were built in the 19th century and those that date back to earlier periods. The author analyses the stylistic physiognomy of the two representative halls; explores their function as a symbol of the dynastic tradition and legitimacy, and reveals the historical and social context of the refurbishment, where both halls are perceived as political and ceremonial premises. From this viewpoint, the author explores the connection between the interior architecture and the ceremonial etiquette of the Habsburg court. The publication contains photographs by Ivan Pinkava and Vladimír Uher.