The library of the Academy of Arts, Architecture, and Design is a specialized and highly professional part of the entire UMPRUM. The library was founded in 1885 and the original and unique construction of the interior was designed by the well-known Czech architect Jan Kotěra. The library contains lots of rare and old prints as well as a great deal of foreign-language literature. The library contains Czech and foreign periodicals and its basic collection consists of about 70,000 books. The library serves mainly teachers and students of UMPRUM and operates in a limited capacity for the public, in particular, an in-house loan within the reading room of the library.
The thematic focus of the library collection corresponds to the focus of the school studios according to artistic disciplines (especially themes related to architecture, industrial design, product design, sculpture, painting, intermedia Art, photography, glass, ceramics and porcelain, fashion, clothing and footwear design, textile design, illustration and graphics, type design and typography, graphic design and visual communication, graphic design, and new media, film, and television graphics, theory, and history of art or other related fields). The library collection is not freely accessible (free choice is not possible), only periodicals from recent years are available in the study room. An online catalog is available to users. The library collection is stored in an electronic format dating back to 1940, and older periodicals are kept in the card catalog. Access to electronic information sources is also available (eg Building Types Online, EBSCO Art & Architecture Source, ČSN online, MatériO Database); to the citation manager of Citace PRO or electronic versions of foreign and Czech journals. The Kramerius digital library forms a separate database.
HOW TO USE OUR SERVICES:
- student card or ISIC is necessary for outside loans
- there is no free access to publications, please ask the staff for assistance
- you can check the library electronic catalogue before visit to see what literature we have and if it's available or not
- there is 1-month-period for returning books, prolongation is possible (in person, by login to electronic catalogue, by phone or email)
- shold the period expire, the chargeable reminders follow
- after login to the electronic catalogue it is possible to reserve unavailable books or order available books
- borrowing of books is for free, copy and print are chargeable
If you need any help, please ask the library staff. We'll gladly help you.
nám. Jana Palacha 80, 118 93 Praha 1
251 098 205
Mgr. Štěpánka Tůmová
+420 251 098 228
PhDr. Jiřina Dejmková
Mgr. Zuzana Stádníková