Admission procedure for the accredited Bachelor’s degree programmes for the academic year 2022/2023
Bachelor’s level - study programmes
Design, Graphics and Visual Communication; Fine Arts
Duration of programme: 4 years
Mode of study: full-time
Requirements for applicants:
· A completed secondary education (at the time of the entrance examination the applicant may be a final-year student);
· Knowledge of the Czech language for applicants from countries other than the Czech and Slovak republics; (certificate required – a certified Czech-language exam for foreigners at a B1 level);
· Interest in the relevant field.
The admission procedure begins with a submission of a valid application form with the required mandatory attachments by the above date (personally at UMPRUM mailbox office during the office hours or by post). On the basis of a valid application, the applicant will receive a written invitation to the entrance examination detailing the time, the room, the tools, the process, etc. to their contact address (if the contact address is not provided, the invitation will be sent to the address of the permanent residence). Entrance examinations take place in two rounds.
The first round will take place remotely on 5 January 2022 at the latest. The applicants will be asked to upload their electronic portfolios to their electronic applications by 5 January 2022. The applicants should remember their login details. During this round, the applicant's portfolio and CV are assessed as well as other documents, which are the mandatory attachments to the application.
The assessment will take place on 17 January 2022 and will be marked as pass or fail. If the applicant succeeds in the first round, s/he progresses to the second round. Information about progressing to the second round will be published on the website of the Academy of Arts, Architecture and Design in Prague (www.vsup.cz). In exceptional cases the applicant may be proposed for the second round to another studio.
The second round will take place in person between 15-17 February 2022 (replacement date not scheduled). This part of the admission procedure starts with a test on the history of art and general cultural knowledge - recommended literature: Ernst Hans Gombrich - Story of Art, ed. Argo in 2006 (publication also available in English). A sample test is attached.
In addition, the results of the artistic tasks performed within three days of admission examinations and applicant´s qualification for study in the chosen discipline are evaluated during interviews with the studio tutors.
The following will be assessed: result of the test on the history of art and general cultural knowledge, portfolio, results of five artistic tasks performed at UMPRUM
The applicant is assessed with a mark and a point score. The assessment will be recorded and approved by the department commission (assessment of a portfolio and results of artistic tasks) and by the commission of the Department of Theory and History of Art (test results).
12–10 points: excellent
9–7 points: very good
6–4 points: good
3–0 points: fail
Based on the results in the second round, the department commission suggests individual applicants for admission. In exceptional cases the applicant may be proposed for admission to another studio. The applicants suggested for admission must receive min. 60 points and may not fail in any part of the examination. The order is determined by the number of points achieved within the studio.
Admission to study
The UMPRUM’s Rector has the final deciding vote about the admission of an applicant to study based on the recommendations by the Main Admission Commission composed of the heads of individual departments, the Rector’s Board and the heads of particular studios.
The total number of admitted applicants depends on the number of available spaces in individual studios.
The applicant will be notified of the outcome of the admission procedure in writing (by registered mail) to the contact address or the address of permanent residence. In exceptional cases the candidate may be proposed for admission to another studio.
The date for the meeting of the Main Admission Commission (verification of conditions for the admission to study): 14 March 2022
Number of applicants for Bachelor´s degree programmes for the academic year 2020/21 – 696, number of accepted – 76.
Number of applicants for Master´s degree programmes for the academic year 2020/21 - 62, number of accepted - 13.
How to apply
Applicants can only apply for one studio and only via an electronic application form that will be available on the Academy’s website at the beginning of October 2021.
The deadline for sending applications (an imprint of the postage stamp or personally at UMPRUM mailbox office during its office hours) is 30. 11. 2021.
The admission fee of 500 CZK must be transferred to the UMPRUM bank account before sending the application. When transferring the money from a foreign bank account the transferred amount must be higher due to bank fees that will be deducted.
Bank name: Komerční banka a.s.
Account number: 19-5599810247/0100
Constant symbol: 558
Variable symbol: 401
Specific symbol: <application number>
Swift code: KOMBCZPP
Applications and portfolios can also be submitted in person at UMPRUM mailbox office - 1st floor, door 101.
MON-THU 9:00-12:00, 13:00-15:30
251 098 234
The applications and portfolios are to be sent to:
Vysoká škola uměleckoprůmyslová v Praze
náměstí Jana Palacha 80
116 93 Praha 1
Requirements for applicants:
- A completed secondary education (at the time of the entrance examination the applicant may be a final-year student);
- Knowledge of the Czech language for applicants from countries other than the Czech and Slovak republics; (certificate required – a certified Czech-language exam for foreigners at a B1 level);
- Interest in the relevant field.
Mandatory attachments to the electronic application, the printed and signed copy of which must be sent by post (registered mail) along with the attachments by 30 November 2021, without which the application will not be included in the admission procedure, are as follows:
- Officially-certified copy of a certificate proving the completion of the secondary school education ("maturitni vysvedceni") - if the candidate received their certificate from a school outside the Czech or Slovak Republics, or a written confirmation by the relevant school (stamp and signature of the authorized person are required) that the student is studying in the last and final year (to be sent as a physical copy by post along with the printed and signed copy of the application form);
- Letter of motivation (to be uploaded electronically);
- Curriculum vitae (to be uploaded electronically);
- Copy of the proof of the admission fee payment (to be sent as a physical copy by post along with the printed and signed copy of the application form);
- Certificate – a certified Czech language exam for foreigners demonstrating their knowledge of the Czech language at a B1 level completed at any language centre of Charles University or at the Foreign Language Centre of Charles University (only candidates who are not Czech or Slovak nationals), foreign applicants who can submit a graduation certificate from a Czech institution (from a study in the Czech language) are exempt (to be sent as a physical copy by post along with the printed and signed copy of the application form);